Maria Sachs is standing up for Florida’s families
On EducationMaria knows good public schools are an investment in the future of the middle class. That’s why she’s standing up to those who want to drain tax dollars from public schools so they can fund for-profit schools run by out-of-state corporations.
- Global Languages: Increases language instruction in public schools from four to fifteen languages.
- Continuing Education for Teachers: Allows public school teachers to enroll in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) courses at the college and graduate levels free of tuition and fees.
On VeteransWe must never forget the sacrifice and courage of our men and women in uniform. Our veterans deserve our gratitude and the utmost respect. As Your State Senator Maria has been honored to fight to make sure that our veterans are recognized and receive all of the benefits that they have earned in service of their country.
- Recognition of Military Personnel and Veterans: Creates the Florida Veterans’ Hall of Fame Council within the Department of Veterans’ Affairs.
- Protection of Unclaimed Veterans: Requires that all military veterans, including those unclaimed, receive a proper military burial.
- Purple Heart State: Designates Florida as a Purple Heart State and August 7 as Purple Heart Day, in honor of the service and sacrifices of our nation’s men and women in uniform who have been wounded or killed by the enemy while serving to protect the freedoms enjoyed by all Americans.
- Preference in Public Employment for Veterans: Provides preference to specified veterans & spouses in public employment & retention in public employment.
Equal PayMaria believes Equal Pay is not just a women’s issue. When women are not paid equal to men, not only are they negatively impacted, but so are their families.
- When women make 78 cents for every dollar a man makes, it’s not fair – and it makes it harder for middle class families to get by.
- That’s why in the State Senate, Maria has been fighting for Florida’s Equal Pay Act, to make sure employers pay men and women the same for equal work.
On Public SafetyMaria has worked on numerous bills in the House and now the Senate to protect consumers from dangerous products and strengthen security measures to keep children safe.
- Texting While Driving Ban: Made it illegal to text while driving a car in Florida.
- “Good Samaritan” Bill, Preventing Deaths from Drug-related Overdoses: Protected persons acting in good faith seeking medical assistance for an individual experiencing a drug-related overdose and in need of medical assistance from being charged, prosecuted, or penalized.
- “Crimes Against Homeless Persons: Broadened the definition of a “hate crime” to include those crimes against people experiencing homelessness when those crimes exhibit prejudice towards their homeless status.
- “Childcare for Children with Disabilities: Requires training for childcare personnel to include identification & care of kids with developmental disabilities.
- Following the tragic death of toddler Haile Brockington, Senator Sachs has made it her mission to prevent any more children dying from heat stroke when left unattended by negligent caregivers.
On Families and Homes
- Tax Credits for Renewable Energy Technologies: Provides property tax benefits for the use of renewable energies systems in residential properties.
- Senator Sachs set up the Home Ownership Promotes Economy (H.O.P.E.) task force, a project that connected constituents with bank representatives and attorneys in free counseling sessions addressing credit card payment, debt consolidation and foreclosure assistance.
- Her local workshops have been successful in bringing together struggling homeowners and large lenders like Bank of America, Chase Manhattan, and Wells Fargo. Additionally, the task force helped launch the “neighbors helping neighbors” initiative to help maintain community property values in neighborhoods with high concentrations of foreclosures.